Monday, October 1, 2012

Teaching my son to think...

Let me start off by saying I hate politics. It has become a dividing subject in my family. My family dynamic breaks down like this: My mom - fiscal conservative, social liberal. My dad - well...he is surely not leaning right. My baby brother - he is gay so he avoids the right. My older brother - die-hard southern baptist that doesn't have a left bone in his body. Then there is me...former student at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, extreme right leaning youth minister type that has completely changed my views on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If defined I lean left, but I prefer the "leave me the hell alone" stance.

In a past life, also known as marriage number one, I became a father to an awesome little boy. That little boy is now 12 and has begun discovering his identity. This is a pretty cool thing to observe as a dad. However, it troubles me when I see things happening to him that happened to me. Growing up southern baptist I was taught to regurgitate the company line in regards to politics and religion. I was taught to never question and that the democrats were HORRIBLE people. But my views and opinions have changed. I now ask questions and get the facts before I draw a conclusion and anything. My son's mom is still stuck in the grasp of the conservative and narrow-minded rhetoric. This poses a problem and internal struggle for my son.

We were sitting in the living room and an Obama for President commercial came on. He says "Oh geez...not Obama. He is so stupid." My ears perked up. I am not necessarily an Obama supporter but it intrigued my why a 12 year old would think our President is stupid. I asked him that question and his answer was "I don't know." So why would he say that? Because that is what his mom says. I asked if he had asked her why and he said no. So we had a talk about politics. We discussed the platform of each party and basic beliefs. I told him that he needs to form his own views and opinions about the world we live in and not just adopt someone else's. I told him that his mom and dad have differing views and opinions on politics and religion and I wasn't going to tell him which is right and which is wrong. I want him to be able to use the intellect he possesses, ask questions, and make his own decisions and draw his own conclusions. I want him to think. Keep coming back...it works if you work it.

No comments:

Post a Comment