Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Practicing...

I posted this a couple of years ago on Facebook but figured I would post it here as well. Being the dad of a daughter is gift.
 
A dear friend of mine, John Franklin, inspired this idea...he was the first one at the hospital when Chloe was born...the first outside of my immediate family to hold her...he told me about doing this with his daughter. Told me to cherish every moment I had with her because you never knew how long you had...he was right. He died in a hunting accident on December 30, 2010 at the young age of 40. Thank you John for inspiring me to enjoy every precious second I have with my family. Miss you bro...
Every day when Chloe and I get home, we walk from the garage to the mailbox...holding hands...I ask her how her day was and we talk....she has no idea that I do it to practice walking her down the aisle someday...that will be the hardest walk I ever make...so I am going to need years of practice...
I will enjoy those walks with her as long as you will take them with me...and then on her wedding day, I will remind her of our walks to the mailbox and I will tell her that I have been practicing all her life for this moment...and it is still hard...

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Glad it's you that has to face "that day". I'm afraid I'd be a blubbering mass of jelly!

    ReplyDelete